Director of Emergency Management Maysville/Mason County EMA
The city of Maysville and Mason County are seeking a Director of Emergency Management. The director will prepare plans and procedures for responding to natural disasters or other emergencies. The director will lead the response during and after emergencies.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Formulate and update emergency management plans and operating procedures to be used in response to and in recovery from natural, technological, and human-induced disasters/emergencies, recurring extreme weather and hazards include flooding, extreme rainfall, tornadoes, earthquakes, hazardous materials incidents, mass fatality incidents, etc.
- Represent the county and city administration to community groups and elected bodies on issues concerning preparedness, public safety, and homeland security.
- Serve as the liaison and representative for the county and city to relevant emergency management and public safety associations.
- Coordinate multi-agency participation and Incident Command for incidents in the city/county.
- Develop relationships and maintains liaison with other municipalities, departments in Maysville and Mason County, and state agencies.
- Facilitate mutual plan development, response coordination, and exchanges of personnel and equipment.
- Collaborate with department heads, city employees and county officials to accomplish effective preparedness, response, recovery, and mitigation activities.
- Ensure that all county/city emergency operating plans are consistent, updated, and in compliance with State laws and FEMA regulations.
- Develop and arrange exercises to practice the county/city’s emergency operations plan.
- Operate and maintain the county/city Emergency Operations Center.
- Act as the Mason County Floodplain Coordinator.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and experience
- High school diploma required with three years of experience in business administration, government planning, industrial or commercial planning, public safety, management of emergency services, or related community or governmental service. Management level experience may not be substituted for high school education. Education at an accredited college or university may be substituted for experience on a year-for-year basis.
- The applicant shall be a resident of the Commonwealth of Kentucky and Mason County.
- The applicant shall hold no partisan elective office, nor file for, seek, or campaign for any partisan elective office while holding the position of local emergency management director
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of emergency management, emergency planning, public safety, and coordinated response to emergencies required.
- Proven ability to successfully lead and manage complicated emergency response operations, effectively and respectfully communicate and collaborate with city department heads, county and nearby municipality officials, city staff and citizens during emergencies and non-emergency situations.
- In the event of major storms or other emergency situations, this position is subject to on call and emergency response or any other emergency schedule(s) that is necessary to meet the county/city’s needs including evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Applicant must be proficient with MS Office, excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Valid state issued driver's license
The Maysville/Mason County Emergency Management Director is appointed under the provisions of KRS Chapter 39 and shall serve at the pleasure of the appointing authority, but shall serve no longer than four years without reappointment and, in addition to any local requirements, shall meet the qualification requirements.
Qualified individuals may submit a resume and cover letter to: email@example.com.